Apcupsd a daemon for controlling APC UPSes
Apcupsd can be used for power mangement and controlling most of APC's UPS models on Unix and Windows machines. Apcupsd works with most of APC's Smart-UPS models as well as most simple signalling models such a Back-UPS, and BackUPS-Office. During a power failure, apcupsd will inform the users about the power failure and that a shutdown may occur. If power is not restored, a system shutdown will follow when the battery is exhausted, a timeout (seconds) expires, or runtime expires based on internal APC calculations determined by power consumption rates. Apcupsd is licensed under the GPL version 2.
Apcupsd ReleasesReleaseNotes for details.
Apcupsd 3.14.10 is the latest stable release, containing many bug fixes and new features over previous releases. Users of all previous versions are encouraged to upgrade.
Do Not Purchase The Following UPSesRecently APC has begun shipping UPSes that utilize a new communication protocol called "Microlink". To date, APC has refused to release details of this protocol to the apcupsd team so that we can add support for it to apcupsd. Consequently, the apcupsd team recommends you DO NOT purchase the following APC UPS models (this list may be incomplete; please send any additions to the apcupsd-users mailing list):
These UPSes have the following restrictions with respect to compatibility with apcupsd:
- SmartUPS SMX/SMT 750, 1000, 1500
- SmartUPS RT 3000XL, 5000XL
If you already own one of these models:
- The serial (RS232) port CANNOT be used with apcupsd at all.
- The USB port will work with apcupsd but will only convey very basic information such as on-battery/on-line and run time remaining. Other readings such as voltage, frequency, etc. are not available.
- You can purchase an AP9620 Legacy Communication Card from APC that will allow the UPS to communicate with apcupsd via USB or serial and this interface will contain more data than the native USB interface. However, the "green energy" features of newer UPSes will NOT be accessible. Also, use of the AP9620 may require a firmware upgrade to your UPS and the card is not compatible with all Microlink UPSes. Contact APC to find out if this is an option for your UPS.
- Alternatively you can purchase a Web/SNMP card from APC and utilize the SNMP or PCNET protocols with apcupsd. Again these protocols will provide more data than the native USB interface.
- You should notify APC that you are unhappy with their policy requiring you to purchase additional hardware in order to manage your UPS with open source tools such as apcupsd.
manual online. If you have any corrections/comments to the manual, please send them to the apcupsd-users mailing list (see below). For bug reports and developer contact, please see below. If you want a pdf copy of the manual, you can find it here.
Bugs and Email SupportPlease don't email me directly, it is much better to address bug reports and questions to the user's mailing list, to which you must be subscribed, otherwise your email regrettably goes down the bit bucket -- you can blame the spammers for that. See the Email Lists page for links and how to subscribe.
Release Notification and User's Email List
If you want to be notified by email when new releases are available, please sign up for the apcupsd-announce mailing list. This is easily accomplished by following the instructions at: http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/subscribe/apcupsd-announce.
If you would like to receive the user's email, please visit the following site and follow the instructions: http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/subscribe/apcupsd-users.click here.
Other Software for ApcupsdDavid Ranch has developed some very interesting graphing support for APC UPSes, which works with apcupsd. Using apcupsd's logging capabilities, David provides setup instructions and scripts to produce high quality, daily PDF graphs of all the important UPS power conditions. To learn more about this, please visit his site.
APCIf you want to know more about APC products for protecting your computer, you can find it at the APC Home Site. CVS repository where you can find the very latest development software. Please visit it and become familiar with how it works.
If you wish to get a copy of the latest CVS code, you can do so by doing:
cvs -d:pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot/apcupsd login(Press ENTER when prompted for a password)cvs -z3 -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/apcupsd co apcupsd
The above will put a copy of the current CVS into the directory named apcupsd (better make sure it does not exist before issuing the command).
Thereafter to get the latest code, simply:cd apcupsd cvs -z3 update -Pd